sábado, 6 de noviembre de 2010

I can't speak

Last night I went to a Mexican restaurant before going to the movies with a friend. My friend immediately talks in Spanish whenever she knows what to say. ("Sí", "gracias", "Buenas noches"). The waitress asks her if she speaks Spanish, and she replies, "Un poquito". She then asks me if I speak Spanish, and I say "Un poquito más que ella." Then she asks me in Spanish what I want to order, and my mind goes totally blank. I say "¿Cómo?", then she answers me in English. Why do I always get so nervous when I have to speak in Spanish? I knew she was asking me what I wanted to order. All I had to say was "un burrito con vegetales" or "un burrito con verduras". I have conversations with tutors and everything. What is the purpose of knowing that you can say "papel higiénico" if you need to ask for toilet paper (my friend needed this phrase) if you're not going to say it to someone?

9 comentarios:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! I have the same problem. I thought it was just a sign of old age! But you're young, so that can't be the reason. It makes me feel better that this happens to other people too! Good luck with your studies!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Glad that makes you feel better, lol. Good luck to you too.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Nerviosismo, poco a poco. aun no me ha tocado pero ya pasara, ya pasara

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hi Aybee!
    El nerviosismo suele pasar cuando pensamos en que no lo vamos a hacer bien. Aveces me pasa en inglés, y es un idioma que estudio desde que tengo 6 años (pero nunca he vivido en un país de habla inglesa) así que siempre tengo muchas dudas.

    Si gustas, puedes comunicarte conmigo cuando quieras, cualquier duda o pregunta.

    Saludos =)

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Hola Taina. Gracias por tu comentario. Tienes razón, la mayor parte del tiempo creo que va a ir mal.

    También puedes hacerme una pregunta sobre cualquier cosa.

    Saludos.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hola, he leido tus entradas y tu perfil en Lingq, me parece que tienes muy serias intenciones de mejorar tu español. Me percate que quieres practicar un poco mas fuera de tu area de comfort, bueno, yo estoy estudiando ingles, tengo una amiga de Inglaterra y cada semana charlamos un poco en ingles y un poco en español por medio de Skype, yo le ayudo y ella me ayuda, pero el acento de USA es el que quiero entender y hablar, es por esa razon que he estado buscando personas comprometidas que quieran participar en charlas semanales acerca de diferentes temas con el fin de ayudarnos mutuamente en nuestras habilidades para comunicarnos (comunication skills), si te gusta la idea comunicate conmigo por favor: alexfigavi@hotmail.com

    ResponderEliminar
  7. try a trip to a Spanish speaking country for a week or so. I still get nervous when I start speaking but the longer I speak the more the shock passes its like jumping into a swimming pool. Watching movies from multiple regions helps you get use to the various accents. Buena suerte y me encanta tu pelo.

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Julius, thanks for the compliments and advice. Yes, I have gone to Spanish speaking countries before (Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras). However, I've gone with my English speaking friends, which made it more difficult to speak in Spanish most of the time. My next trip I will have to make an effort to speak even more in Spanish.

    ResponderEliminar